The Swamp Ghost
Post Courier March 30, 2007

Post Courier

Fate of relic in limbo
THE National Museum and Art Gallery has called on the Government to quickly decide on the fate of the Swamp Ghost as corrosion is slowly eating into the war relic. And the director of the national Museum, Simon Poraituk has expressed concern about recent media reports the Swamp Ghost was taken out of the country. He said these reports were false as the war relic was presently housed at the National Forest Product yard at Voco Point in Lae. However, due to its present location, the Swamp Ghost was exposed to the sea breeze and the rate of corrosion taking place was hard to contain, he said. It has been about nine months since the war relic was moved from the Northern Province to Lae. Mr Potraituk said the longer the Government took to make a decision, the more corrosion would eat into the relic. He said he carried a physical inspection with Culture and Tourism Minister Nick Kuman following reports the relic had been taken away. Yesterday, he assured the public the Swamp Ghost was safe in PNG.

TALKS: The director of the National Museum & Art Gallery Simon Poraituk (centre) in discussion with board members Stanley Kopono (left) and Balthazaar Kaprangi about the Swamp Ghost while holding onto the P38 lightning at the Modern History Museum yesterday. Picture: STEVEN PETER

 

 
NEWS
SALVAGE
HISTORY
EXPERIENCE
TREK
DVD
          B-17E 41-2446 art by Jack Fellows via IHRP

© 2006-2010  TheSwampGhost.com  Contact Us | Subscribe